Saturday, September 21, 2013

9/21 - pool, parks, and fun

It's been a really long time since I've posted. I've just haven't been able to keep up with the pace of life (see my last post). That said, I've still tried to make sure the boys are having fun. Here are the boys at the playground. It's so awesome that Aiden can swing himself now. I'm trying to get Eli to get there. He's totally not motivated by telling him that when he learns how to swing he can swing whenever he wants but I do think I can motivate him to learn by telling him he can make himself go really super hi.


It's been great to have Mike and Arin so close (it would be awesome if they were closer but at least we are only 45 minutes away now) and they came over a few weeks ago and we all went to the pool. The boys had a ton of fun because Mike was there to play with them in a daddy kind-of way. It was also pretty fun to have an extra pair of hands and eyes at the pool. They let us take the kids down the big slide on our lap for the first time ever. It was great and I've been able to do it again since then. When we first moved here they would not let a parent go down with a child in front on them or on the lap so the boys have really enjoyed that lately. It's also great because the boys love playing with Grace so it's a great day when we get to see the Hunter Family.
We've been experimenting lately with some kids yoga DVD's from the library. Aiden is awesome and will try it and does a good job. Eli just hangs out on the couch and watches Aiden.


Here is Aiden doing some "seat work" in some wipe off books we have. Both boys have books that they can do and it's one of their options during quite time on the weekends.
The boys have been wanting to go this playground by us for a while. We pass it going to our house but have never made it to it. We set out on an adventure a few weeks ago on a Saturday morning. We biked down (it's about a mile) and then had snack there and played for a bit. The actual playground is not that great but the boys had a ton of fun getting the back tire of the bike stuck in the sand and then pedaling still so that sand would shoot out from under the back wheel. I was too nervous they wouldn't have enough energy to make it back home so eventually had to put an end to that. We did go on an impromptu treasure hunt after Aiden decided a level of the playground was a ship and we were about to crash so we had to jump ship. We ran to the island and found a tree with treasures (little berries). And no, I didn't let them eat them. The had a ton of fun trying to pick them off the tree and they stored a bunch in their snack cups. It was getting late and hot and I was getting pretty tired so we headed back. Aiden had a hard time making it back but Eli was full of energy. I actually had to slow him down so that he would stay in my sight while I was trying to encourage Aiden to pedal more and/or take less breaks. I finally told them that if they made it back all the way (Nana was on stand-by to come get us) they could have a movie night (watch a movie and eat on the picnic blanket in the living room). Aiden was exhausted but made it. Eli was full of energy and probably could have kept going for a while longer. That's nice to know seeing how he plays the "I'm too tired" card when any kind of walking is involved. :)
I had a Cutco service person come to the house to sharpen our knives about 1.5 weeks ago. While he was doing his thing, Eli (who was fully dressed the man got here) comes out in a full pirate costume. I couldn't even keep a straight face. The cutco guy was laughing and Eli played pirate for a while. This child is so random but so funny.


I decided we hadn't painted in a while and Eli normally loves to paint but usually I don't have the energy or patience for it. I've been making a point to be 100% engaged when I do something purposeful with the boys and wanted to paint with sponges. I cut them up and got the paint all ready and was excited. Eli painted for about 2 minutes and then decides he is done and doesn't want to paint anymore. Aiden got in to it quite a bit. He eventually put an apron on and painted a lizard and a person walking it. He's become so creative and willing to try and draw things. School has really helped him with this and I'm so excited for him. He has always been so scared to try and draw/write things because he will "mess up" or "doesn't know how to do it right" and I'm so glad he's been able to let go of that some and just try.


Aiden has been asking if I can bring Eli to school for lunch. Aiden's lunch is at 10:30 which is pretty early so I finally put it in my schedule to do. Eli was so excited to go. I told Aiden's teacher we were coming because he's been wanting to show me a journal that he has a school and she said he could bring it to lunch next time I come. He chose his Science Journal. So far it's a bunch of colors and he has to glue a small sheet of paper onto his notebook paper and then complete it (write the color and then do a little activity near the bottom). On the other page he has to draw various things that are the same color. I took a picture of this page, Orange. He drew some of the same thing on the right side that was in the picture on the left but he didn't have to.  I was so impressed especially with his jack-o-lantern.

Eli gave Aiden a huge hug when it was time for him to go. Eli was pretty excited that we left Aiden's school (where he did eat a decent lunch) and was able to go to daycare and eat lunch again. It turns out though that he wasn't hungry for much.








The Oakleaf Chick-fil-a had a carnival a week ago and we went (it was a Monday or Tuesday night). It was awesome. They totally outdid themselves and put on quite a show. While we were waiting to get our tickets to get in to the carnival, a man on stilts came over to us. The boys thought that was pretty cool and the man was juggling and even played catch with Aiden. Eli was too shy to play catch though. We got in and the tickets that we got to get in were then used for the candy jar booth. They got to pick out 3 kinds of candy to go in a bag which they thought was pretty fun. Nana went to wait in line for the ferris wheel and I took the boys around to some other random booths. They had a mini blinko board and the boys won a free cookie and free Dr. Pepper drink. The threw some bean bags through holes and won a cow too. It was then time for the ferris wheel. 
They were pretty excited and had a ton of fun on it. It's hard to see their faces but they loved it. We then waited in the train line for about 30 minutes. I tried to talk to the boys out of it because we rode the train a few weeks ago and could come back in a few weeks to ride it again. They said they wanted to wait for it though. So we finally got on the train and while we rode the train Nana went over to the ferris wheel and got in line for it again. We literally got off the train and then the boys got to ride the ferris wheel one more time right when we got off the train.


The boys had a really fun night and it was a great even that Chick-fil-a hosted.
 I set up another bike obstacle course again the other day before school. I know Aiden goes and sits all day from 8:30 until 12:30pm which is when he has PE so I try and get him moving in the morning if we have time. They have fun and it's a great way to start the day. In this picture Eli is navigating through all the curves.
Aiden had Parent Night last week at school. The first 20 minutes were for parents of K-2 to go the classrooms and see what has been going on and then to listen about the new grading procedures for the other 40 minutes. Aiden was really excited to show me all his other stuff. I was amazed. He has a Poetry Journal!! It focuses on a letter and then there is a 4 line rhyme using that letter and then a little song at the bottom. He has to glue that on one page and then has to draw a picture of it on the other. Towards the beginning of the journal (before they start working on the letters) they had some open-ended questions. One was "I can ...." Aiden wrote "I can love." and then drew this picture (see pic to the left) on the other page. He said he was dancing with me (I'm not sure if I'm the brown person or orange and blue) and the hearts showed how much he loves me. My heart just melted. So sweet.




Nana asked if Aiden wanted to help her make some cookies last week. He said and then runs out to the craft/game area. I then hear all this weird noise. I go to see what he is doing and he's bringing the art easel over to the kitchen and says "I'll write down the rules." What? Rules? We are cooking. He then proceeds to come up and writes down the following rules:
1. Follow directions [on the cookie mix].
2. Be safe.
3. Clean hands.
4. Clean up your mess.
5. No snezzing on cookies.
6. Don't eat all the cookies.
7. Make sure you share cookies.

The kid cracks me up. I picked up Eli from daycare and once he got home and washed his hands, he was allowed to help too. I was shocked that they both made a few cookies. They have never make a cookie ball for me. They put one finger in it and say it's gross and won't touch it.

 Last Saturday I took the boys down to the pool in the morning at 10am. We were the first ones there! Nana came down a bit later and joined us which was great. It was nice and relaxing and we enjoyed it. It worked out well because it rained all afternoon so we were stuck inside.

Last Saturday marked one week I have been on my new medication. I found out that 28 days worth of medicine costs $6200. Yeah. You read that right. Wow. The first days felt like no change but I then started to notice one of my medications that typically has not worked, started working (it's called Provigil). After a week on the new medicine, you are supposed to tritrate up to the next highest dose. I am super sensitive to many medicines so I decided to not go quite so high as they recommended. I took my 10pm dose and then woke up at 2am, felt very drugged still, but went ahead and took my 2nd dose like I'm supposed to. I woke up on Sunday morning and had a headache, was nauseous, and very dizzy. I knew it was from my medicine dosage and thought it would wear off in a few hours. It didn't. I missed sunday school and church. The boys were so good though and played so well together which was a blessing. I could barely stand up to even fix their breakfast. My doctor was not reachable so I called the drug manufacturer and they had a pharmacist call me right away. He said it was just taking my body a little longer to eliminate the drug but it would be gone in a few hours (this was 10:30am). Nothing had changed by 5pm. I called again and talked with the same pharmacist and he told me the problem was not from the drug because the drug is so fast acting that it was out of my bloodstream and it was something out and I should get it checked out ASAP. I thought about it, talked with Brad, thought about it, and then realized I waited all day and it wasn't even a tad better so why would it be better after sleeping. I wasn't about to take the medication again that night in case it was the medicine and it might have an additive effect. I needed to teach on Monday morning so I decided the ER was the right choice for me. Problem: how do I get there when I clearly can't drive (I could barely walk) and my mom can't take me because some needs to be with the kids who I just put to bed? I had to take a stupid ambulance!!!
To make a long story short, the Orange Park Medical Center was so amazed at the medication that I was on that they had never heard of that they pretty much just focused on that. I did have 2 awesome church friends (Christina and Mrs. Linda Ferguson) meet me at the hospital and these crazy women stayed with me from 8:30ish until I was released at 2am!!! Now that is a friend. Needless to say, they didn't know what was wrong and thought it was the medication. I canceled my JU class which I felt HORRIBLE about and then went to bed by 3am. I spoke with my dr on Monday morning and he said it wasn't the new medication and then made a phone call and sent an e-mail to Stanford (where all the really smart people in the world of narcolepsy and this drug are at). Someone from Standford even called to talk with me. All day monday I was crazy dizzy but was able to eventually eat some saltines and 7-up. Tuesday morning was still pretty bad and I was getting so discouraged. I literally couldn't do anything. Even shutting my eyes made me really dizzy. By Tuesday late afternoon I started to feel some relief and that was great. I was taking zofran around the clock because I was so nauseous that I couldn't even eat anything which I'm sure wasn't helping the dizziness.

On Wednesday, it was Eli's 4th birthday. Mrs. Chari, Eli's teacher, is so awesome and made a sign for the door since 2 kids in her class had birthdays this week. Eli had a good day (I left a balloon and play-doh for his class) on Tuesday evening. I barely made it through work on Wednesday and thought I was going to pass out a few times.

Once Aiden got home from school, he helped Nana and I wrap presents for Eli and then decided to make a tent for Eli's puppies. While I went to get Eli, Aiden and Nana made this tent for Eli and decorated it. It was so thoughtful of Aiden!! I'll write more about Eli's birthday in the next post.


I took this picture on Thursday. Here is Aiden peeling his carrot that he was having in his lunch on Friday. No he wasn't eating the whole thing but I love how much he likes to help in the kitchen.




This week has been so crazy with me feeling so incredibly horrible for a few days and then trying to prepare for Eli's party which was difficult because the RSVP list doubled after the please respond by date. I don't get that. I had wednesday as the cut off date and got 3 RSVP by then and then got 1 one Thursday night and 2 on early friday morning. I had already made all the goodie bags so then had to go buy more stuff. It was all good though. Eli had an awesome birthday party today. I'll write about that in a few days hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment