Sunday, December 9, 2012

12/9 - Aiden & Amy sick; Papa visit

Not long after we got back from Papa's house, Aiden got very sick. He took his turn at Urgent Care and we found out he had influenza too. Man. He seemed much hotter than 101-102 but he was pretty miserable for a few days. He was put on Tamiflu again and bounced back pretty fast.
Eli still had to go to daycare and that was a bit of a challenge. He loves to go to Aiden's class when he first gets to daycare and thankfully, Ms. Jennifer still let him in her class even though Aiden was absent. We tried rewarding him for being well and spending some special time with him when we picked him up. Here is one day where we went exploring around daycare and he had a blast. We climbed up stairs, rolled down hills, and played with all the buttons in the van. He was pretty proud of himself that he figured out how to put his window down and how to open his door.

This picture just makes me smile of Eli. He was so excited to just sit in the front seat of the van and play with buttons. 
Brad put a new Chick-fil-a app on his phone and the boys were pretty excited about it. We can scan the comic books the boys have gotten there and the cows come to life and karate chop each other. It's fun.
It's actually so much easier when both boys are sick at the same time. Eli already took his turn at being sick so he was full of energy while Aiden had none. We've let the boys play a little more with the Wii and they have fun with it. The can play Diego, MarioKart, or the WiiFit. Aiden felt so bad that he didn't even want to play (that's when we know he is sick).  
After a few days on the medicine, Aiden started feeling much better. Here are all the boys playing around one day. 


While Aiden was sick, I was browsing on my phone for photo apps. I found a couple free christmas ones that the boys love. They asked me to take pictures of them with various backgrounds for a couple days in a row. Here is a sampler:
I had to have some fun with the cat too. Pouncer cracks me up!! I love him so much.
Aiden and Eli decided to ride their bikes the other day. Aiden stopped riding his bike because he said it was too wobbly. He was riding Eli's but that was creating problems. Needless to say, Brad fixed the training wheels on Aiden's bike so that it doesn't wobble at all. I think it's safe to say that Aiden may never get rid of training wheels and he will be perfectly fine with that. We'll have to find a cool trike for him to fit in later :)
Crazy little Eli has lots of fun just playing in dirt outside the house.
He did finally decide to use his bike and the pedals!! This is huge. This boy has something against using the pedals. He is finally figuring it out and learning to use all his leg muscles at the same time. He has to really concentrate but he can do it.
We got a somewhat of a surprise visit from Papa in the middle of the week. We gave him his Christmas present early since we won't see him this year during Christmas. We got him some long range walkie talkies so that he can use them up at the farm. Aiden was pretty excited about giving them to him.
We took Papa to Bass Pro Shop on Wednesday. We haven't been there since they decorated for Christmas and it was quite festive looking. We had a good time and the boys really liked the race car they had set up in the Christmas area. They only had 2 boats to get on which made the boys sad but they forgot about it soon enough. We tried to get a picture with Santa but that didn't work out so well with Aiden. He said he was "too shy" to talk to Santa and then freaked out on us. Thankfully, Eli didn't really care that a giant man with a furry red suit and lots of facial hair was holding him. Whew.
Here is what our Thanksgiving Tree ended up looking like. It was a really fun and neat project to do. We are definitely going to make a tradition of doing this. 
I took a picture of the just the leaves  so we can look back to see what we wrote. Green = Aiden; Orange = Eli; Yellow = Brad; Plain = Amy.
These boys love each other so much and it just warms my heart to see them so sweet to each other. Don't get me wrong, there are times when they are not so sweet but usually you can see the love.
OK. A little rewind for a few days. On Tuesday morning, I went to my primary care physician to see about getting in to an endocrinologist soon. I had an appt in mid-February but I can't wait until then. I have zero energy and cannot even do my everyday activities anymore. So, God intervened on my part and after a frustrating visit and talk with referral people, a nurse ended up getting me an appt on Wednesday at 9:00am with an endocrinologist. I was shocked. Brad went with me on Wednesday morning and after lots of waiting to get my medical records from base, we finally saw the dr. We both liked him and he said he needed to order an ACTH test to see if my adrenal glands were working. I went back on Thursday morning at 10:40am to get the blood test done. They take blood, inject (via IV) a medication that is similar to cortisol, and then you have to wait an hour and have blood taken again. Well, they took blood, injected the medicine, pushed it with some saline, and then boom .... I pass out. The medicine I got is supposed to increase your blood pressure and heart rate and mine went straight down. To make a long story short, I'm the first person to have such a response and faint in the dr office, first time I have been treated and transported by emergency rescue personnel, and the first time the ambulance has a mileage of 0.0 for a trip (I was in a clinic office that was less than .1 miles away from the hospital so they rounded the trip to 0.00). Because my body responded completely opposite of what it was supposed to do, the doctors kept me overnight on oxygen and a heart rate monitor to just make sure everything was okay. They took LOTS of labs over the course of the 24+ hours I was there. The endocrinologist should get the labs back by Monday, Tuesday morning at the latest, and then he's going to decide what to do next. It was a scare for us but thankfully God provided wonderful people to take care of me and keep me safe.
I got out of the hospital on Friday afternoon and Brad had a Winter Ball for his work on Friday night. We already bought the tickets ($70) and I was way too cheap to let them just sit there. So, I dressed up and we went to the ball. I finally have two new dresses to wear to these kind of fancy events thanks to a shopping trip with Stephanie back in Florida. I got ready and then thought I made a terrible decision by trying to go because I felt so horrible and weak before we left. I rested while Brad picked up the babysitters and then we made an appearance. People from Brad's work were shocked that we came but they don't understand that I wasn't going to waste that $70! Haha. We left after dinner but before the silent auction and all the dancing. I slept awesome on Friday night but had a really hard time waking up on Saturday.
Once I finally got moving on Saturday, I was good to go. Aiden played with his new erasers that he got for doing a great job in Cubbies so far, Eli was playing on the iPad, and Brad was reading for a paper due on Monday. I took a nap that afternoon and then in the late afternoon, took the boys to Sears with me. We finally found a mall in Montgomery!! It was crazy busy and I was so scared I was going to loose a child so we'll have to go back when I have Brad with me and/or it's not Saturday night a few weeks before Christmas.

I was exhausted by Saturday night. Mornings are the roughest times for me because it's like my adrenal glands don't produce anything to get me up and moving in the morning. I USED to be a morning person!!! Anyway, I barely pulled my act together to go to church but we did make it on time. I love our church up here. They are so caring and sweet and are great prayer warriors. I was wiped out this afternoon but didn't get a chance to take a nap so I'm trying not to fall asleep as I type this. Eli had a hard time waking up after naps. Here he is cuddling with Pouncer. I'm trying to catch up with my on-line class and grading. Oh yeah, and Christmas cards. I just don't have much energy now so I have to really determine how I am going to spend the little bit of energy that I do have everyday.
We went back to church tonight but there was no Awana (or Cubbies). Instead, the Children's Choir put on a musical which was really cute. At the very beginning of it, the Preschool Choir came and sang a few songs. Cue Aiden's first time on a stage in front of people. He was too cute although lots of wiping of the eyes and ears with his hands and arms. I'm not sure if that's a nervous coping thing or that his allergies are just getting that bad. I'll post an update with the church pictures and pictures that I will take on Tuesday night at the Christmas production for their daycare. It should be rather cute!!

No comments:

Post a Comment