Wednesday, February 20, 2013

2/14 - Activity dice & sensory bags

Rainy days drive me just about as crazy as the boys. I came up with an idea though and searched on-line for a dice template. I finally found one and created these: activity dice. One the one dice I put the standard numbers (1-6) although I wrote the number rather than using the dots to represent the number so it would be easier for my 3-yr old to play. On the other dice, I put a bunch of random physical activities (bear walk, run, steps, twirls, frog jumps, etc). We take turns rolling the dice and then performing the required task. I even made some blank dice and asked the boys what are their favorite animals and/or exercises (we actually have 3-4 different activity dice). It's a great way to be active and have fun together. We have contests and whoever can make it through xx (you fill in the number) gets a sticker, an extra bedtime story, etc.
So I've been searching on the internet for something for Aiden to hold and touch and pick at rather than pick around his mouth, his nails, or strings on his socks. I couldn't find anything. Nothing and I'm pretty good getting around the web. So, I decided to make my own. I did find out that lots of kids (and some adults) like 'fidget toys' as they are called. Something to do and keep your hands busy without making noise and distracting others. Brad and I went shopping together and looked at all kinds of fabrics, textures of fringey stuff, and buttons. We came home and I put together a few sensory bags (that's what I am calling them). I'm still playing around with them but it's a neat idea for the right population. You can see below two different bags that I made. They are about palm size which I think is a little too big to use as I was intending. However, Aiden does like to play with them. The one on the left is made of black curdoray and a snuggle dinosaur print on the other. On one side I put some string/ribbon with little orange balls and then a large pearl button towards the bottom. I also attached an elastic wrap on this one. On the scorpion and green bag, I put the rough side of velcro (that is supposed to be really relaxing for some people to play with) and then some actual leather fringe on the other end.

After flipping the bags over, you can see the other sides. On the dinosaur side, I have a black tassel that Aiden likes to rub on his arm and leg and is pretty relaxing for him. On the green fabric, there is a round button that has texture on it and then I've also put some ribbon that has little loops on it so that each little piece/section can be played with and touched.
I've done a couple more and will take pictures of them soon and post them as well. I am experimenting with filling the bags with various things such as rice, fake grapes, foam squares, jacks. etc. I'm playing with all different kinds of stuff to see what Aiden and other kids like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment