Monday, June 17, 2013

6/17 - The Hoyt Family visits

The boys were so very excited for grandma Jo and grandpa Dave to come visit. Aiden would have played games with them 24 hrs a day if we let him. Grandma and grandpa were great sports and played quite a few games with him. Here is grandpa playing Spot It! with Aiden.

Eli wanted to play Sneaky Squirrel so we did play that and I was excited Eli actually wanted to play a game. I guess I don't have to include that Eli quit playing after a game but at least he played a whole game. 


Here are grandma, Brad, and Aiden playing the Very Hungry Caterpillar game. He actually doesn't play that game very often and I was surprised he asked to play it.

We put up the tent in the living room sitting area and the boys enjoyed playing in that. They even got grandma to come and sit under the tent for a while.  The boys were awfully quite at one point so I checked on them and this is what I found (picture to the left). The little stinkers climbed up on the cat gym. Good thing grandma Jo and I built that so strong that it could withstand 2 toddlers on top of it.
Grandma and grandpa let open his birthday present and he was pretty excited about it. He loves the Mag-X magnet toys but was getting frustrated because he didn't have enough 'Xs' to build more stable structures. He got really frustrated though when we tried to help build something. He had an idea of what he wants to do and gets very frustrated if he can't do it just the way he wants on the first try.
Aiden had his true first friend move away. DJ moved to Missouri last week. It was sad because Aiden didn't really get a chance to play with him before he left. We tried to play with him on Tuesday afternoon but his grandma wouldn't let him play. We then tried to play on Wednesday afternoon but his mom wasn't home and his grandma wouldn't let him come over. He finally came over at 5:15pm and we were leaving for dinner. I was so sad for him but told DJ we would come by his house as soon as we finished dinner. Needless to say, when we came by less than an hr later, his grandma wouldn't let him come over again. DJ was sad and had been crying. I felt so bad for him and Aiden. They just wanted to play. You would think DJ's grandma wouldn't mind because she had been watching 3 kids all day long and DJ's mom had already given her permission to let DJ come over whenever. At 7:30pm we realized that DJ wouldn't be coming over again so we walked down to his house and dropped off a good-bye present and bag we had for him. We made him a mini scrapbook and put our new address in it. To the left is what Aiden drew in the book: I love you DJ. So sweet. We put snacks and a few fun things to play with in the bag to help with the long 12 hr drive he was going to have. It was a horrible way to say bye since he wasn't allowed to come over for 2 days to play because his grandma said no. Anyway, we are praying for him and hoping we can stay in contact with him.
To the right is a picture from our dinner at Chick-fil-a. They only have 1 6 person table there and the rest are 2 or 4 person tables. Brad and I got sent to the 2-person table because the boys wanted to sit by grandma and grandpa.


Here is Eli with a helmet on. This has to make the blog book. He is wearing a helmet voluntarily and without crying. That is a first. Although you can't call is a helmet; it's his motorcycle hat :)
Here is Aiden getting ready to open a second birthday present from grandma and grandpa. I didn't take any picture of him playing with it so I'll have to get on that. Below you can see Aiden opening his card. Grandma Jo made it and it was a colorful dragon. 


T
The picture on the right is priceless. That look of Eli's ... TROUBLE!! He's so stinkin cute which is good because I think we will see this look from him quite often over the next 20 years.  

Brad's parents like to stay busy so we saved up some projects for them :) Actually we didn't originally plan on help but it was great to have help. My mission for Brad when we got to Jacksonville was to build Aiden a loft bed. We were going to have the boys share a room again but we have decided to put them in their own rooms instead. Aiden is reaching a point where when he breaks down and will not/cannot communicate, he needs his own space and we have a hard time telling Eli he either can't go in his bedroom or the toy room (depending on where Aiden is at) because his brother is having a complete breakdown and is being ridiculous. I wanted to do a loft bed so that he still has space in his room for toys and such. After much searching on the internet, I gathered a few pictures and showed Brad what I wanted. Essentially, I wanted a loft bed with lots of storage space on the ends. I originally wanted a desk built in but after he got the bed framed, I realized it was a tight fit to have a desk area and cubbies. I decided we'll just get a desk/table for Aiden's room instead. The key to this loft bed though is that I need it to be in three sections. With as much as we move, it wouldn't survive too many moves if we had to keep unscrewing things and putting it back together. I wanted two end pieces and the bed part. Brad and his dad sketched out some ideas, decided on what they needed and went off the the hardware store. They came back 2 hrs later with a ton of lumber and ready to build. Over the course of three days, Brad and his dad built the bed. Brad got a new drill and an impact wrench/drill too from his parents for graduation. That helped quite a bit to speed things up since they really needed 3 drills: one to make holes using a drill bit, one to use as a countersink, and one to use with screws. Brad learned about notches for the first time to make the shelves. He's got it down now I think. One of the really cool things they built is a little special tissue box compartment (3rd row, far left). The poor kid is always blowing his nose and sneezing at night so he has a tissue box with clean tissues and one for yucky tissues, and then he has a small box for his stuffed animals or toys. This compartment will make a huge difference when I change the bed because I don't have to take all that stuff off the bed. One end of the bed has 9 large cubbies and the other side has 6 small cubbies (that fit the standard fabric squares) and 3 large ones for some bigger toys. 
Of the boys wanted to help so this is their contribution. Aiden really did help move some boards. Eli tried out what the space would be like once the bed was lofted. It was very hot out the first two days the boys worked on it and the little boys were just sweating sitting in chairs watching the big boys work.  

I took the boys to the store to pick out paint for Aiden's new bed. The boys had fun picking out paint. The only problem is that I was just planning on painting Aiden's bed. I was going to stain it but then thought that since we can only rent right now (which means no painting walls), adding some color to the bed. Aiden picked out blue and green and said he wanted strips. Yikes. Eli then said he wanted his bed painted so I let him pick out a color. He chose orange and blue (no I didn't influence that choice). I will start painting Aiden's bed this week. The boys had a blast watching how the colors were made and the woman at the store was so nice to them.


On Friday night, we all went to Sweet Frogs for dessert. Aiden can't eat anything there because it's frozen yogurt and made with cow's milk so we take something for him to eat. The rest of us had some yummy dessert. Aiden got all done with his and then was doing this (see picture to the left) for a while. He finally put his arm down and told me he was still hungry. His lack of ability to tell me his needs and/or fear of telling me drives me nuts sometimes. This is an important skill he needs to figure out or he will allow himself to be in some miserable situations. I pray a lot for this little sweet boy. 




Eli's yogurt was melting because he had a hard time staying in his seat because he wanted to dance to the music. 
 On Saturday late morning, we went to IHOP for a good-bye breakfast/lunch with grandma and grandpa. After we ate, grandma and Aiden played  'go fish.' He just learned the game last week and loves it. I went to Wal-Mart and got him one of those card holder things and it's totally awesome.
Eli was playing puzzle games on the iPad next to me while Brad and grandpa talked about Brad and I's retirement career jobs. Haha. We have a cool idea and just need to find the perfect air strip (yes, for planes) to make it all happen. Let me know if you see anything for sale :)














It was time to say bye. We all hugged and then parted ways.

The boys were sad to see grandma and grandpa leave. It was a great visit with them.
On Saturday evening, we had family pictures. I can't wait to see the sneak peeks which should be out
in the next day or so. I even made super hero capes and masks for the boys. It was our first time doing photos not in a studio with multiple wardrobe changes and stuff. The location was pretty neat. I'll post some pictures when I get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment