Wednesday, June 12, 2013

6/12 - Prattville, AL - Analysis Part 2

I had no idea that my 'Analysis of Prattville' blog would be so .... read. I can see the number of people who read our family blog posts (I can't see who has read my posts, just that it was read). My comment on our Prattville experience has been read about 5-6 times more than a typical blog post. I've had a few people message me and/or talk to me in person about my post. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone.  I was talking to a local realtor here the other day and he said the most perfect statement to describe what I've been feeling and have not been able to adequately put into words. The people in Prattville, AL are super nice and willing to help but they keep you at an "arm's length." That's it. That describes it most appropriately.

What a God moment. As I am typing this entry, I get a notification on my phone that someone has added something to a comment I made on a Facebook post of a friend. She had stated a few or so ago that she was sad that a good friend was moving away and I commented that people like me/us (who are forced to move quite often) are so thankful for people like her who take the risk to become friends. My friend commented on her original post and said "I vowed I would not make any new friends that would not be staying here permanently." I can relate to that statement and way of thinking so much. Here is the problem though, when you are the one that moves all the time, that means you end up having no close friends. You may have 1 or 2 people that you can easily catch up with because you were once good friends but the lack of frequent face-to-face friend interactions can take its toll. It can be so isolating and lonely. My friend ended her comment with "my new motto is to love each person for the amount of time that God places them in my path." I love it and that is something I need to embrace and work on.

I can remind myself every now and then that God has us moving to a place for a reason and He will put people in our paths for a reason. I have learned with this rotation that sometimes those experiences are for difficult lessons but I also know that we cannot grow without the lessons. I am still unsure why certain things have happened since I've been here but I have learned this:
1. It is so important to treat everyone with the same heart - a heart of love - regardless of if they want this and/or "deserve" it. God commands us to. It has taught me alot about love. If it were not for my boys watching all of this, I would never be able to change the way that I have. God may have used this as an example and also to teach me what it really means to still show love even when I feel I have fleshly reasons not to love.

So Prattville, will take the vow that my friend and I are both taking? Will you try and accept, embrace, and love each person for the amount of time God has brought them here? As my friend said, God blessed her for embracing that friendship. Please open up your inner circle and your heart and truly become a friend.

1 comment: