Tuesday, October 4, 2011

10/4 - Making helos at Home Depot

It's been a crazy last week and weekend while I try and catch up from being gone for a while. I'm back and in full swing again which is great. On Saturday morning, we took a family trip down the block to Home Depot. The first saturday of every month they have a kids workshop. It was awesome. We were gonna leave on Friday and go down to St. Pete to go to my cousin's, Rachel, wedding reception. I didn't realize how completely run down I would be after being laid up for 6 days and then jumping right back in to things and how behind I would be. It just worked out for us to go to the workshop since we stayed home and had no plans. God's timing is crazy and it worked out that it was helicopter day!! Right was we pulled in to the parking lot at 9am, a helicopter was circling over and landing right in front of us. I've never even seen a helo land that close (and I've seen helos land well over a dozen times).
They both got little aprons to wear that had their names on them. Brad put Aiden's together and I put Eli's together. Of course the boys helped when they could. Home Depot even had little, kid-size hammers.
The boys did such a good job of being patient to play with their helicopters. There were dozens of people there.
After we finished making the helicopters, we went to go see the real one. I've never seen a helo this small because I'm used to Brad's huge one!
The Army Reserves were there with one of their rescue/ambulance type vehicles. Aiden was too scared to climb up the steps in the back (they were pretty steep) and Eli didn't care too much for sitting in the back either. They thought standing by the tire was pretty cool because it was so big.
Eli wanted to drive it though!! He was so excited to sit in the driver's seat and move the steering wheel.
Home Depot had stations for water, popcorn, and hotdogs. We got some of all of it although Aiden only wanted a bun, no hot dog! It's funny how little things like eating popcorn out of a bag is so exciting for the boys.
Eli enjoyed trying to shove the entire hot dog in his mouth while Aiden continued to work on his popcorn to make sure he didn't many any kernels.
The police were there too. They had 2 cars and opened the doors so the kids (and adults) could see go in the car. We help up the boys so they could touch the lights. Aiden thought it was cool but Eli was a little scared of them.
Thankfully, I've never seen the back of a police car before and had no idea that the back seat is all plastic. The boys thought it was pretty neat. Eli didn't mind getting in with me and closing the door.
We did take a few minutes to get a family picture although we were trying to look directly into the sun. We had a great morning and headed home around 11:00ish.
Here is a final picture of the boys' helicopters. Unfortunately, we left without Aidens and never found it. :(
We didn't do much for the rest of Saturday. Brad wasn't feeling too great and I had a ton of work to do. It is so cute that Aiden asked to read to Eli on Saturday night. Eli picked out his book and Aiden opened and it started asking Eli where some of the body parts are at (Eli is pointing to his head). It was too precious. We had to keep reminding Aiden that Eli had to be able to see the book.
I snuck the camera in while it was prayer time. My grandma used to have this picture of my uncle Jon kneeling by his bed praying and I always thought it was so precious. It melts my heart and makes me so happy to see my boys praying and kneeling by their beds and I would love to capture it. That said, when they see the camera, they like to smile. This first picture below is so cute because you can see Eli peeking up at Aiden. Aiden is so cute because we ask him to name at least one thing he is thankful for every night. Sometimes is food, playing, and trucks. He's too precious.
This last picture is Eli signing "night night" before he goes to bed.
We went to church on Sunday and Brad started feeling even worse. Brad stayed home and slept for the rest of the day. Monday he felt even worse and didn't go to work. Thankfully, he's feeling much better today. I have another post but that will have to wait another day or so. It's late and I need to get ready for my trip to Gainesville tomorrow. I love teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment