Sunday, March 11, 2012

3/11 - Eli's surgery

Eli had his surgery on Thursday morning. Aiden stayed the night with Ms. Jackie, one of his daycare providers, the night before Eli's surgery. This allowed my dad to come to the hospital with me on Thursday morning. Even though Eli was tired and wasn't so happy I had to wake him up, he did well. We had to wait a while (about 40 min) before they actually got started with us. Eli really didn't like his ankle bracelet and kept whining "ouchie" about it. Papa tried distracting him by tickling him and it worked for a while. I then let him play on the iPad for a while but he started to get worn out from that too. Finally, a nurse or tech asked if we had been helped yet (no) and if we wanted to watch TV. Eli was instantly sold on that and he was mesmerized.

They were finally almost ready to take him back to they sent Papa to a different waiting room and made me get dressed in a hazmat type outfit to go to pre-op with Eli which is apparently a somewhat sterile environment. We had to wait back there for about 30-35. The anesthesiologists came back to meet Eli and talk to us. He really like the one dr and the dr eventually gave up his stethoscope so Eli could play with it. We eventually resorted to the iTouch to watch Finding Nemo until they came and got him. They gave him a little bit of a cocktail to make him separate easier from me. When they came to get him and wheel him to surgery, he was looking around and trying to look over the back of the bed for me and calling my name. I did see the nurse get out her iPhone and give it to him with music playing which was nice.

The surgery went well and I had to wait about 45 min although I think the surgery took just about 30 min. The took me to a special recovery room where he was waking up from the anesthesia. Last year, this part was horrible so my hopes were not high this time. He was so cute and sad laying there hooked up to the IV. It reminded me of his first few months when we did a couple stints in the hospital and he had an IV and the oxygen sensor on his foot. His recovery nurse ended up being Aiden's sunday school teacher. How amazing is that? She was great and even let my dad come back to this recovery room (there isn't supposed to be any family back there but since Eli is a minor, they let me come back) since I told her Papa was taking the place of daddy since he just deployed the day before. After his respirations got to a certain point, they allowed me to rub his back and try and start waking him up. It didn't take long and he was so out of it.
He started whining and she put the bed rail down and had me get in the bed to hold him. I did that as he adjusted to trying to be awake. They took him off the oxygen and he was doing well. We eventually got moved to the regular recovery room and they had a popcicsle waiting for him and some juice. He just wanted his capri sun I brought. In fact, he fought hard to not taste it. Papa had to hold him for a bit so I could go down to the pharmacy and get some narcotic medicine for Eli. All went well in recovery and we left after about 30 min and he drank some of his drink. He didn't enjoy having the IV taken out but he had a TV to watch so he was distracted.

He was pretty out of it for the next couple hours but wasn't sleeping. He just wanted to lay around. I tried to get him to eat yogurt or jello but he didn't really want anything. He eventually got really sick and threw up but after that, was good to go. He rested for a while and then we went to go get Aiden. Although it took him all day to eat a 1/2 container of yogurt, I thought he was doing well enough to go ahead and take off for the Ladies Retreat in Palm Beach (about 45 min away). I made scrambled eggs for dinner for the boys and Eli didn't really eat anything (neither did Aiden but that's not surprising). Eli struggled with eating and drinking for a few days but he's doing great now. He's still on antibiotics but is feeling so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment